Once I realize my error, it still took me several days to recognize the pun: I thought the Women’s March would be in the month of March. Surprise, I was caught off guard again this year. Next year, I will plan a special show for Community Noise Radio, but for this year, just a special playlist for The Women’s March 2019.
The Raincoats didn’t make onto this set list, but fear not, I have another idea to incorporate them into a radio show next month.
- Patti Smith – “The People Have the Power”
It’s a time in our country’s history that it’s hard to remember, but imperative that we do. It’s time to take back power.
That the people have the power
To redeem the work of fools
- Bikini Kill – “Rebel Girl”
That girl thinks she’s the queen of the neighborhood
She’s got the hottest trike in town
That girl, she holds her head up so high
I think I wanna be her best friend, yeah
- Anna Calvi – “Don’t Beat the Girl out of My Boy”
- Aretha Franklin – “Respect”
- Ella Fitzgerald – “Blue Skies”
- Megan Inhen – “Aria” by John Cage
- Storm Large – “Amado Mio”
Storm with the great and lucky-to-have-her Pink Martini.
- Anisa Romero / Sky Cries Mary – “Moonbathing”
It was not her band, but her voice propelled them in a totally new direction. Wow.
- Janis Joplin – “Piece of My Heart”
Raw and sweaty, hopeful, hopeless, and beautiful. Whoahhhhh!!!
- Tom Tom Club – “Genius of Love”
Tina and Chris’ side project from Talking Heads. When David Byrne and Chris Franz were starting to write songs and just putting a band together, they complained that they couldn’t find a bass player. Tina went out, bought a bass, and started to learn to play. She told them, teach me to play how you want the bass to sound. I find that powerful; it’s humble and determined
- Edwin Starr – “War (What is it good for)”
In honor of AOC, a welcome burst of energy for the US Congress.
- Girl In Red – “I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend”
- The Cramps – “Garbageman”
That’s the lovely Poison Ivy on lead guitar; The Cramps bringing psychobilly to the masses.
- The Slits – “Spend Spend Spend”
- Patti’s Groove – “It Won’t Last Too Long”
On Record Store Day last year, I bought the compilation Girls in the Garage on vinyl. Fascinating stuff.
© Community Noise 2019. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.